Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Shop in Tampa

I dont know if you have ever heard of a place called The Shop in Tampa?

The shop is a cool place I went to this morning to help and volunteer. I got there around 8am and was amazed at what I saw. The shop is a small office where anyone in Tampa who is in need can wash their clothes, use the phone, go online and receive advice for different services in Tampa.

This morning when I pulled up around 8am, there were about 50 people ready with their laundry, ready to use the phone and check their email. While I was there I met a wonderful African American gentlemen who I sat down with and asked the questions I always ask.

How did you get here? He was super nice and said he was a professional welder who had not been able to find steady work, had been doing some work but not enough to keep him going. He had been to a 2 year school, had once had a family and now is partially dependent on the county for a little help.

The bottom line is that I have really enjoyed bringing you some of the stories of the homeless and underemployed these last few months and have really loved meeting amazing Americans that give a face to what is becoming frequent in America.

Lastly, I want to say that while I was there I overheard a phone a Latina mom was making to her 2 daughters and while she cried and told them to be strong, that she loved them, she kept telling them, Mama will be home soon, Mama will be home soon.
I dont know why she cant go home but I pray she gets there.

I am greatful for the opportunity to tell you about these people in America.
What are you greatful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment