Friday, June 17, 2011

Sassy and Fat and God?

Mary Mary, today I ran into Mary at the gym. Slightly older, tall, good looking lady who I have gotten to know a little at the gym over the years. I had not seen her for over a year.

Well, I had not seen her because I wasnt there. She was, I wasnt. As she strolled in for her early morning weights and stretch class, she came over in her deep southern drawl and said hello and smiled and stopped to shoot the breeze. I told Mary that she looked great and she said she was fat and sassy. Of course she is like 5'9 and 120lbs, definitely not fat. But in her deep fried chicken drawl way she was being disarming and charming as usual.

Mary is also a deeply religious woman and as she was stopping to chat with me for 2 minutes. I was reminded of just how amazing it can be, when someone just comes over, says hello, asks how you are, where you have been and really means it. You see, fat and sassy and deeply religious all go together. Mary never has a bad word to say about anyone and she always smiles. I wonder how she got this way. But actually I dont, I know how. She has faith, she believes and she cares. Mary, should be all of us.

So today I vow to be little nicer and kinder, fatter and sassier and go up to someone and ask how they are, stop and listen and care. I am greatful for Mary.

What are you greatful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment